I learned to make potato salad from my sister-in-law, probably three decades ago (when I could barely cook!). I don’t make it the same as she does but that is where my recipe got its start.
I like to use red potatoes and then cook them a bit longer, so the end product is a little lumpy but creamy. The potatoes are done when you can easily pierce them with a fork and a twist will break them apart. It may take a few times to figure out the cooked potato consistency that your family likes.
Yummy Potato Salad
Serves about 8-10 as a side dish
- Approximately 2 ½ pounds of red potatoes (half of a 5# bag) – peeled, rinsed and cut into chunks
- 2-3 hard-boiled eggs – peeled, rinsed and chopped
- 3 generous (meaning heaping on the spoon) tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon of brown mustard
- 1 tablespoons of yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons of garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of pepper
Bring water to boil in a large pan. Add the potatoes chunks. Keep it on a low boil, stir occasionally until the potatoes are tender. Drain.
Place chopped eggs and drained potatoes in a large bowl. Add the mayonnaise, mustards and spices. Stir with a large spoon. Once the mayonnaise and mustards are mixed in – taste. Add more mayonnaise to make it creamer, more yellow mustard to make it tangier and of course, a little salt if it seems bland. Caution: start out by adding just a little more – you can always add more, but you can’t take any away! 😉
Mine usually looks like chunky, yellow mashed potatoes. Hmmm.
This post linked to: